The International Baccalaureate (IB) program is a globally-recognized curriculum that helps students form the skills they need for life.
There are many benefits of the IB program for La Scuola Middle Schoolers. The IB Middle Years Programme (IB-MYP) emphasizes intellectual challenge. The curriculum, in particular, helps students develop important skills such as critical thinking, communication, and collaboration. It encourages students aged 11 to 16 to make practical connections between their studies and the real world, preparing them for success in further study and in life.
What the IB-MYP offers students
The MYP aims to develop active learners and internationally-minded young people who can empathize with others and pursue lives of purpose and meaning.
The programme empowers students to inquire into a wide range of issues and ideas of significance locally, nationally and globally. The result is young people who are creative, critical and reflective thinkers.
International mindedness reflects who we are as a school community, and our place within our local and global community, reinforcing our belief that the world is interconnected. Students who have a global mindset will recognize their common humanity, shared guardianship of the planet and strive to work together to create a better world. The IB Learner profile guides students to become: reflective, open-minded, balanced, principled, knowledgeable, inquirers, risk-takers, communicators, caring and thinkers.
One of the great things about the IB-MYP curriculum is that it’s adaptable to each student’s needs. Every student is different, and so every student learns differently. The IB-MYP curriculum allows for each student to explore their own interests and passions, while also developing the skills they need for life.
The IB-MYP curriculum is also holistic, meaning that it covers all areas of a student’s development. In addition to academics, the IB-MYP program focuses on social and emotional learning, physical activity, and community service. This holistic approach helps students develop into well-rounded individuals who are prepared for life after high school.
The International Baccalaureate uniquely provides:
- A comprehensive approach where subjects are not taught in isolation, but instead using concepts that children can apply to different situations in order to connect the dots and solidify their learning.
- A focus on both developing strong academic, and social and emotional skills– using language and cultural studies, students develop empathy and a global mindset.
- A blend of the best of global traditional and progressive education principles.
- A combination of skills and attitudes that leads to success in higher learning and careers.
Research shows that students participating in the IB-MYP:
- Build confidence in managing their own learning
- Learn by doing, connecting the classroom to the larger world
- Outperform non-IB students in critical academic skills
- Consistently have greater success in high school and university
- Thrive in positive school cultures where they are engaged and motivated to excel
- Develop an understanding of global challenges and a commitment to act as responsible citizens
At La Scuola International School, it is that sense of community that makes it easy to transition from a public school. One of our Middle Schoolers, Lilly, explains why choosing La Scuola to begin 7th Grade was the right decision for her in addition to the benefits of the IB-MYP program and the uniqueness of its curriculum.
If you’re looking for a rigorous and adaptable curriculum that will help your child develop important life skills, then the IB-MYP program is definitely worth considering.
At La Scuola, it is our mission to Inspire Brave Learners to Shape the Future. Learn more about our community, the IB program, and the joy of learning experienced by our students.
Share this Post